The Jeffrey MacDonald Information Site is a compendium of information about the Jeffrey MacDonald case. MacDonald was convicted in 1979 of the murders of his pregnant wife and two small daughters. He is serving three life sentences for that brutal crime.

The Murders of Colette, Kimberley and Kristen MacDonald

The Jeffrey MacDonald Information Site

February 18, 1970: Statement of 1st Lieutenant Joseph L. Paulk

Note: Translation of the document following scanned copy

The Jeffrey MacDonald Information Site: February 18, 1970: Statement of 1st Lieutenant Joseph L. Paulk, p. 1

The Jeffrey MacDonald Information Site: February 18, 1970: Statement of 1st Lieutenant Joseph L. Paulk, p. 2

The Jeffrey MacDonald Information Site: February 18, 1970: Statement of 1st Lieutenant Joseph L. Paulk, p. 3

Note: Translation of the document as I read it to be
(Spelling, punctuation and grammar preserved)


At approximately 0355 hrs, 17 Feb 70, I was sitting in the operations section of the PMO looking over some routine military reports and rewriting the DO's log. My driver walked in and said that there was an unusual call at the desk, but he did not know the nature of the call at the time. I proceeded to the desk and picked up the call on the other line thinking that the party on the line was the originator of the call. SSG BOULWARE, Desk Sergeant, was listening when I said, "Yes, sir, may I help you?" BOULWARE explained to me that it was the operator on the line--not the originator. BOULWARE asked the address once more and the operator stated, "544 Castle." BOULWARE said the man asked for an ambulance and military police. I put my line down and left for 544 Castle with MP WILLIAMS (Traffic Section) following. I told BOULWARE to dispatch the closest patrol as I was leaving.

Upon arrival, one of two patrols were just dismounting their jeeps. I got out and ran to the front door. I pounded on the door and rang the doorbell. No response. All this time I was under the impression that this was a domestic disturbance. Someone mentioned that they thought that this was the case back at the PMO. Seeing that there was no possibility of entering the front, and seeing that the house was quiet and that no surrounding neighbors were were disturbed, I told one MP (TEVERE) to go around back and see if there was any way in from the back. I turned to go to the radio to obtained a search warrant from the provost Marshal when I heard someone say, "Get an ambulance. They're around here." I ran to the rear of the house and entered where I saw CPT MacDONALD being assisted by MP MICA, CO A, 503d MP (illegible). I glanced at the captain's wife who was absolutely motionless. I moved down the hall and looked in the other bedrooms where I found one child in each bedroom motionless. I moved down the hall to the living room looking for other victims. I found no other victims. About this time my driver, MP DICKERSON (C/503d MP illegible) came by and opened the front door. I moved back the hallway to see if anyone needed first aid or assistance. As more MP's arrived I told everyone not to touch anything or move anything. I told one MP to get everybody not needed out and keep everyone else away. I then went to my car and called for more ambulances and CID. I went back into the house and told everybody not needed to leave once more. I told everyone not to touch anything. We were making every effort to protect the scene. I went back to MP's MICA and TEVERE. MICA was giving first aid to the captain and trying to keep him calm. We were able to get a description of the possible assailants from the captain, mainly through MICA and TEVERE's efforts. I proceeded to the next door neighbor's house and called the PMO and gave the description and told BOULWARE to notify all law enforcement agencies and to hurry with CID. I then called COL KRIWANEK and briefed him on the situation. The colonel said he would be right over and he questioned me as to possible suspects and what we had done up until then. We hung up and there was some discussion about where the ambulances were as they had not arrived. I directed WILLIAMS to proceed to Lucas and Honeycutt and escort the ambulances to 544 Castle Drive. I went back in the house to make cursory investigation

page 2

of the area and attempt to gain more information from CPT MacDONALD. He had all the symptoms of shock and was becoming incoherent. MICA was still rendering first aid. I attempted to calm the captain who was trying to get up. Each time he looked at his wife, he became less coherent. When I first arrived, CPT MacDONALD seemed in full possession of his facilities. He became worse with time. I began to look around the bedroom where CPT MacDONALD and his wife were. I saw a small knife lying on the floor near the dresser, towards the corner of the room. The phone was off the hook when we first came in, but TEVERE attempted to use it and it was now on he hook. TEVERE could not get the phone to work for him. I looked at Mrs. MacDONALD. She was covered in blood and was wearing bed clothes. She was lying on her back, feet and legs apart, with her head facing to her right. She looked as if she had been beaten severely.

The bed in the bedroom was unmade and had a damp spot about 18 inches in diameter toward the right side. The bed clothes were turned down. On the head board the word "PIG" was written vertically, in blood, on the left hand side looking at the bed from the bottom.

I went down the hallway noticing the blood on the floor and footprints made in blood near the bedroom. In the children's room, left side going down the hall towards the living room, I looked in and saw a child in bed with a bloody head. She was absolutely motionless. I moved to the right and saw another child with a bloody head. Se was absolutely motionless also. Lights were off in both of the children's bedrooms. The lights were on in the parents' bedroom.

I moved down the hall toward the living room looking for anything unusual and admonishing MP's not to touch anything, and not to let anyone unnecessary in. In the living room the coffee table was overturned and there was a small plant lying on the floor. It had come out of its pot. Magazines were lying on the floor (3 magazines), apparently from the overturned table since they were still stacked up.

I proceeded to the kitchen and noted blood near the entrance, but I did not enter. CID arrived at about this time and took over the investigation. I directed everyone not needed to go outside again. I stayed in the living room keeping everyone off the carpet and cautioning them against touching or upsetting things.

COL KRIWANEK arrived and asked who was in charge. I said, "I am, sir," and led him through the area. The colonel asked about notifications and descriptions again and I obtained this information from SGT HAGENY and turned it over to him. The colonel then surveyed the situation and we went outside for a short discussion when Major PARSON arrived. We then left for the PMO where the colonel began to get together a task forces for the investigation. He directed me to go to the hospital and do my best to see CPT MacDONALD. I managed to obtain permission to see CPT MacDONALD and get as much information as I could. CPT MacDONALD was in great pain. The information I got is contained in a fact sheet which was turned over to CID.

To the best of my knowledge, these were the events and facts as they occurred.



Home  -  Contact  -  Scholarship Fund  -  New Uploads  -  Christina's Corner  -  Resource Page
Chronology  -  Claims vs. Facts  - 
Various Documents  -  CID Records  -  FBI Records
April 6, 1970 Interview  -  Article 32 Hearing  -  Psychiatric/Psychological Data  -  DNA Results
July 23-24, 1970: John Cummings' exclusive interview with MacDonald  - 
Affidavits  -  Grand Jury Transcripts  -  1979 Trial Transcripts  -  MD License Revoked
1987: MacDonald v. McGinniss  -  Mildred Kassab sues MacDonald  -  Court Records

 Parole Hearing  -  Kassab's Work  -  Bob Stevenson Answers Your Questions
Photograph Pages 


Go to top